Construction site death from reversing vehicle: two companies fined £20,000 each
Reversing vehicle death: £20,000 fine
Health and Safety Executive v Cavanna Homes (SW) Ltd and Steve Hoskin Construction Ltd (2017) Exeter Crown Court, May 12
Statutory reference: regulation 36, Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM) and s.2 of the Health and Safety at Work, etc., Act 19745 (HSWA).
Cavanna Homes (SW) Ltd and Steve Hoskin Construction Ltd have been fined following the death of a worker who was struck by a reversing vehicle.
· In June 2013 John Small, an employee of Steve Hoskin Construction Ltd was working for the company at a construction site in Dawlish, Devon. He was walking alongside a reversing telescopic material handler when it crushed him, causing multiple fatal injuries.
· Cavanna Homes, the principal contractor for the site, failed to ensure that the site was organised to enable vehicles and pedestrians to move safely.
· Steve Hoskin Construction Ltd had not fully considered the risks to their employees at the site.
· Cavanna Homes Ltd was fined £20,000 plus £20,000 costs for a bteach of regulation 36, CDM.
· Steve Hoskin Construction Ltd was fined £20,000 plus £20,000 costs under s.2, HSWA, for failing to ensure the health and safety of employees.